"Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dine like a Pauper"
Since childhood we have been listening to this phrase but do we really follow it?
According to a study, majority of people, especially women tend to skip breakfast due to one reason or another. Some have to start their day early and are in hurry or short of time, while some skip breakfast to manage the calorie intake to reduce weight. There are others who think it is absolutely fine to skip breakfast after a heavy dinner. All these are misconceptions and the reality is skipping breakfast increases the craving towards high calorie and sugary foods which do the reverse effect. Ahealthy breakfast should contain whole grains including fruits and vegetables ,lean protein and low fat dairy .
But why is breakfast so important for us?
- Breakfast means breaking the fast.You take your last meal at around 8:00 p.m. or 8:30 p.m the previous night and approximately same time in the next morning, this means that your body was deprived of food for an extended period as in the case when your body is fasting.
- This means that your brain got almost nothing during these long hours. Your brain is dependent mainly on glucose for energy. Thus, breaking the fast from the night provides the brain with nourishment to get going.
- Breakfast is indeed a very important meal. A good breakfast fuels you up and gets you ready for the day.
- Without breakfast, people can get irritable, restless, and tired. It increases hunger pangs throughout the day and people make unhealthy food choices leading to weight gain, high blood sugar, high cholesterol etc.
- Eating breakfast is important for everyone but more so for children and adolescents . According to the American Dietetic Association, children who eat breakfast perform better in the classroom and on the playground, with better concentration, problem-solving skills, and eye-hand coordination
- It curbs craving making the weight loss process easier.
- Breakfast skippers tend to eat more food than usual at the next meal, or nibble on high-calorie snacks to stave off hunger. So, it is very essential to fuel your body right in the morning.
- The NHS says "Eating breakfast has long term health benefits. It can reduce high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes."
- It is seen that people who skip breakfast get irritated and cranky easily. So, eat a healthy breakfast to keep youself brighter and happier.
An ideal breakfast should comprise of at least three different food groups. It need not be very elaborate and complicated with different food items nor be just a cup of tea or milk, but it can be simple yet nutritive to provide your body with various essential nutrients.
Choosing the Right Breakfast Foods
This just goes to show how important it is to choose the right foods for breakfast. A healthy breakfast meal should contain a variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low- or non-fat dairy and lean protein.
Even if you think you don’t have time to eat breakfast, there are grab-and-go options that fill the bill. Some quick and healthy choices include:
- A veggie omelet and a piece of whole-wheat toast
- Oats idli
- Moong daal cheela
- Besan cheela
- Paneer sandwich
- Rawa upma
- Broken wheat vegetable daliya
- Vegetable( methi/palak/onions/cabbage/raddish) stuffed chapattis
- Ragi dosa
- Methi thepla
- Poha with sprouts and veggies
- Sprouts sandwich
- Soymilk smoothie
- Whole-grain cereal with fresh fruit and low-fat milk
- Oatmeal made with skim milk, raisins and nuts
So, here ends the list of some healthy breakfast ideas to lose weight, if you still have any queries feel free to mail me at [email protected]
SKIP ROPES, NOT BREAKFAST